Childbirth Education at WCH’s Women’s Pavilion
Childbirth Classes and Tours
At Wooster Community Hospital, we believe each birth is unique and special. As you prepare for the upcoming birth of your baby, we invite you to participate in our series of educational programs designed to enhance your childbirth experience.
Education plays an important role in preparing you and your partner for childbirth and parenthood. For your convenience, we offer a variety of classes. To obtain the full benefit from your class, be sure to register during your seventh month of pregnancy.
Our childbirth education classes include:
You and your support person will be introduced to all childbirth options available to you for labor and delivery. Class topics include:
- Relaxation and breathing techniques
- Role of your support person
- Labor-coping options such as positioning and ambulation, continuous support, hydrotherapy, IV pain medication, nitrous oxide, and epidurals
- Discussion about the delivery experience:
- Vaginal and cesarean section
- Post-partum care
- Basics of bringing home your new baby & what to expect
- Tour of the Women’s Pavilion and completion of necessary paperwork
2019 Childbirth Prep Class Schedule:
- January 26 (Sat), 9 am – 4 pm
- February 22 (Fri), 9 am - 4pm
- March 23 (Sat), 9 am – 4 pm
- April 27 (Sat), 9am - 4pm
- May 18 (Sat), 9 am – 4 pm
- June 5 (Wed) (Class #1), 5 – 9 pm and June 19 (Wed) (Class #2), 5 – 9 pm
- August 14 (Wed) (Class #1), 5 – 9 pm and August 28 (Wed) (Class #2), 5 – 9 pm
- September 28 (Sat), 9 am – 4 pm
- November 16 (Sat), 9 am – 4 pm
Our sibling class is a free, one-hour, one-session presentation for children 3 to 8 years old who are expecting a new brother or sister.
We discuss aspects of having a new baby in the home, tour the obstetrics ward, and prepare siblings for a temporary separation from mom during childbirth.
2019 Sibling Class Schedule:
- February 21 (Thurs)
- April 18 (Thurs)
- July 18 (Thurs)
- September 5 (Thurs)
- October 10 (Thurs)
- December 5 (Thurs)
All sibling classes are held from 4 - 5 pm. If you are interested in joining in the tour of the obstetrics department, please meet at the registration desk before 4 pm on the day of the class.
Who wouldn’t want their breastfeeding experience with their newborn to be memorable? We can help.
Taught by a certified lactation consultant, our breastfeeding class covers the basics of breastfeeding, as well as where to get help if you need it. Learn more and see the class schedule.
Because the Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her baby, and potentially result in severe birth defects, we get many questions about the risks of infection and how to protect against it.
We recommend these Resources for Patients About Zika Virus by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Patients with particular concerns should contact their obstetrician.
Wooster Community Hospital’s Women’s Pavilion is committed to making the birth of your child the most memorable day of your life. For more information about the childbirth education classes, tours, or services we offer, call (330) 202-5548. We look forward to meeting you and cannot wait to be a part of your special day.