A relatively new medical specialty that only started in the 70s, pain management has given hope to countless people dealing with all types of pain – helping them restore their normal function and overall quality of life.
If you’re currently gathering information about pain management, we’ve outlined below the various modalities a pain management doctor utilizes to help people, like you, break free from the shackles of pain and movement restrictions caused by their condition.
Common Nondrug Pain Management Techniques
While there is no doubt that oral medications work for pain, many pain management doctors develop a long-term approach that doesn’t focus on pharmacological solutions.
Common nondrug modalities used by pain management doctors include the following:
- Biofeedback – This is a mind-body technique in which the patient learns to control autonomic body responses and functions that trigger pain.
- Chiropractic treatments (e.g., spinal adjustments and decompression)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (deep breathing and other relaxation techniques)
- Lifestyle strategies (e.g., smoking cessation, exercise, improving sleep habits, managing stress, etc.)
- Massage therapy
- Nutritional support
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Regenerative medicine (e.g., stem cell therapy and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy, etc.)
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Spinal decompression procedure
- Temperature therapy (heat and cold)
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
Getting to the Root of Your Pain
To formulate an effective treatment plan, your pain management specialist first needs to find the culprit in your pain. Your doctor will carry out a thorough assessment by:
- Have you described the severity and type of pain you have (i.e., burning, stabbing, sharp, dull, or throbbing pain)
- Asking you about the location of the pain and examining the area
- Asking you about how long you’ve been experiencing it as well as what worsens or relieves it
- Asking you about the medications and other measures you have taken and their effect
- Ordering blood tests and/or medical imaging tests
Pain Management Doctor near Me in Wooster, OH
If you’re in search of a pain management doctor in the Wooster area in Ohio, consider one of ours here at Wooster Community Hospital.
Dr. Jeffrey Zackary and Dr. A. Harris Basali, our board-certified pain management doctors, are profoundly dedicated to helping the people in their community get back to living pain-free, fully functional lives.