If you are a new mother, breastfeeding your baby for the first time can be an emotionally and physically challenging task. That’s where a professional lactation consultant can help.
A board-certified lactation consultant undergoes specialized training focused on providing support, advice, and guidance to new mothers who choose to breastfeed their infants. They can help with everything from showing you comfortable breastfeeding positions and managing your milk supply to avoiding painful nipples and dealing with a host of other common nursing problems.
Here is a helpful guide to working with a professional lactation consultant while you’re still pregnant, right after you give birth, or even months into breastfeeding.
Why You Might Need a Lactation Consultant
Breastfeeding is an acquired skill that needs to be established during the first few weeks of your baby’s life to be successful. A lactation consultant will not only increase your chances of mastering the technique but also provide the emotional support and encouragement you need.
Also, a lactation consultant can help you manage breastfeeding challenges, such as:
- Breast engorgement
- Flat or inverted nipples
- Your baby refusing the breast
- Prior breast surgery
- Plugged ducts or breast infections
- Sore, cracked, or painful nipples
- Low or overabundant milk supply
- Difficulties with nursing positions
- Issues with latching, tongue-tie, or sucking
- Your baby failing to gain weight
- Multiple births (twins, triplets, etc.)
- Pumping once you return to work or for bottle feeding with breastmilk
How the Lactation Experts at WCH’s Women’s Pavilion Can Help
At the Women’s Pavilion of Wooster Community Hospital (WCH), we have expert lactation consultants who are highly qualified and experienced in assisting mothers and their babies with a wide range of breastfeeding issues. Our obstetric nurses have expert training to help you achieve your breastfeeding goals.
Our extensive breastfeeding services include:
- Prenatal education in the form of breastfeeding classes aimed at enhancing your knowledge about infant nutrition. This can help you and your support person prepare for your breastfeeding journey and make the experience more efficient.
- Inpatient care at the Women’s Pavilion, where our staff of highly trained and dedicated nurses will assist you while you are breastfeeding your newborn. Our team of International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) is also on hand to work with you during your hospital stay and in the weeks thereafter.
- Outpatient breastfeeding consultations with our Women’s Pavilion lactation consultants. To schedule a private, one-on-one appointment before and after the arrival of your baby, you can call (330) 202-5567.
- Virtual visits are also available if you wish to reach a lactation consultation at any time, seven days a week.
- Baby Bistro, a free, virtual breastfeeding support group welcomes all mothers regardless of their location or delivery facility. The group provides helpful and reliable breastfeeding information, education, and social and emotional support, as well as access to lactation consultants present at every meeting. For more information, follow the group on social media @WCHWomensPavilion.
Lactation Consultants in Wooster, Ohio
For more information on our breastfeeding support services at the Women’s Pavilion at Wooster Community Hospital, call us today at (330) 202-5567 to arrange a one-on-one appointment with one of our board-certified lactation consultants. To view our 2023 breastfeeding class schedule, click here.