A common question among people who haven’t tried getting chiropractic care but are considering it is whether it does involve the use of medications. If you’re a proponent of non-pharmacological treatment, you’ll be glad to know that it doesn’t. The scope of practice of chiropractors is limited to the prevention and treatment of biomechanical disorders of the spine and extremities using nondrug and nonsurgical modalities.
So, what then do chiropractors use to help their patients find lasting pain relief and achieve functional restoration? Below, we’ll discuss the different treatment modalities used in chiropractic care.
Spinal manipulation is the iconic therapy chiropractors are known for. This modality involves a chiropractor applying controlled thrusts to targeted areas of the spine to correct misalignments (subluxations).
By correcting subluxations, chiropractors treat the underlying causes of pain – and not only mask it with medications. In fact, patients who get chiropractic adjustments and other related treatments report a significant reduction in their symptoms and improvement in their quality of life.
OTHER THERAPEUTIC MODALITIES CHIROPRACTORS OFFER
Your chiropractor will first carry out a thorough assessment of your musculoskeletal problem to pinpoint its underlying cause. Once they confirm a diagnosis, your chiropractor will devise an appropriate treatment plan.
Chiropractors use various approaches aimed at getting the body moving and functioning as it should. Depending on your condition or injury, they may use spinal manipulation as a stand-alone treatment or in conjunction with other modalities, such as the following:
- Spinal traction – This involves the use of manually or mechanically created forces to stretch and mobilize the spine.
- Stretches and targeted active and passive exercises
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) – This uses a battery-operated device that generates low-voltage electric currents, which work by blocking the transmission of pain signals from the affected area to the brain
- Ultrasound therapy
- Lifestyle and health counseling
- Temperature therapy (alternating heat and cold therapy)
- Soft-tissue therapy
- Joint bracing/taping (Kinesio taping) – This involves the use of stretchy, moveable tape to provide rehabilitative support and stability
- Ergonomic, movement, and posture strategies
CHIROPRACTOR NEAR ME IN WOOSTER, OH
Dr. Katie Dossi, our highly credentialed chiropractor, has made it a mission to help men, women, and children feel, move, and live better – the drug-free, all-natural way.
To learn more about our chiropractic care services or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Katie Dossi, call (330) 202-3318 now. Alternatively, you may request your appointment by filling out our secure form. Let’s get you feeling and functioning at your very best!